Wednesday 6 January 2016

Race No. 44 - A Wet Monthly Mile South Shields

South Shields on a better night       
'Oh, what a night' sang the Four Seasons, but it was not 'a very special time for me'  last night in South Shields, for having rained constantly for days on end I found the road out of Wylam to be flooded as I tried to head for the coast and the Monthly Mile.

Having seen on the TV news recently, lots of cars fail to get through a flooded road, I pulled over and waited for another car to gauge the depth of the water. Yes, the very next car hardly paused before heading into the flood water. About a foot deep, I decided before following.

Safely through, I tried my brakes and after a couple of hiccups from the engine resumed my journey to the race.

Oh, it was awful on the coast, heavy rain and a strong wind, right in your face. Forty six other people were as keen, or as silly, as me when we set off straight into a head wind. Having decided I would take it easy and not stress my dodgy calf I started at an easy pace. Of course, as soon as I realised that the couple of runners immediately infront were not getting away from me, I instinctively increased my pace and passed them. Not a good move, as with a couple of hundred metres to go I felt something give in the calf. Now I slowed and back came those runners.

Through the line in 7.19 in 14th position out of 47. Only a little discomfort from the calf. Now, can I recover in time for the Harrier League Cross Country on Sunday?

No comments:

Post a Comment