Sunday 19 April 2015

In Praise of Volunteers

Great Run Local Gibside Chapel 19 April 2015
Having run yesterday at the PARK RUN Newcastle Town Moor, today I travelled to a local beauty spot, Gibside Chapel, a National Trust site near Rowlands Gill.
No sunshine today for my run/race, but I was up for it and despite being a little tired after my hard earned pb yesterday I was looking to do my best.
Yesterday there were 646 starters for the Park Run, today was a much lower key event with 51 runners in my 5K race and 27 running the 2K course. Both PARK RUN and GREAT RUN LOCAL are Not For Profit events set up to encourage people to have healthy lifestyles by being more active, I back them to the hilt in this. What I particularly admire in the organisation of these runs is the number of volunteers who turn out every week to make them happen. Without these volunteers this wonderful activity could not happen, so even if you cannot, or do not run, why not volunteer? I can guarantee that you will find a friendly bunch at these events.
Now here is a promise from me. When I pick up my next injury (it will happen) and cannot run I will look to volunteer. There, promise made.
Turning to today's race, whilst this was my first ever Great Run Local, it was not my first race at Gibside, for I have ran the Gibside Fruit Bowl, a race that takes place late in the year over this hilly location. Did I say hilly? When I last did it I compared it to a fell race, so up and down was the course. Today I let the fast starters go, for I had been warned that the first two miles were up hill and they were! This was not a race for my usual clock watching to keep on the pace, the times were all over the place as steep clicks were followed by steady climbs. As promised, after two miles the top of the climb among the conifers was reached (in about 18 minutes). Then it was round the cone to complete a loop of the course before plunging downhill at pace. Oh, I love sprinting downhill! Through the finish in 24.28 mins and my first Great Run Local was complete.
As I look forward to my Sunday roast I can only offer 'A big THANK YOU to those volunteers who have made it an excellent weekend. Have a look at the websites.
Image result for gibside chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment