Saturday 25 July 2015

Race No. 22 Newcastle Park Run

Abersoch

Caernarvon looking towards Snowdon





Back From Holiday

After a week of rest and recovery in North Wales it was back to racing and number 22 in the challenge, another Park Run on Newcastle own Moor.

Having completed a third of the challenge, I am pretty well on schedule despite a couple of rest periods, firstly for a cold, then for a calf injury. Last week's holiday in Abersoch, North Wales didn't  give me an opportunity to race, but I did enjoy a couple of runs along the coast. The second run was on the North Wales Coastal Path heading west on the Lleyn Peninsular from Abersoch. I ran just over three miles out before retracing my steps to record, roughly 10k distance and 925 feet of ascent and descent. It felt good and was a start in my preparation for the World Masters Mountain Championship this September in Betws Y Coed, just a little to the east of Lleyn.

Today, I turned out in Newcastle to get another race in, but also to see how my legs would perform. The answer was not so well, both hamstring and calf giving me some discomfort. Add in a headwind at the start and I knew my Personal Best for 2015 of 21.44 was never going to be under pressure.

At the finish I recorded 22.41, a reasonable result for 101st position ( out of a field of 459), 1st V65 and third finisher for Tynedale Harriers, Jaycee Shotton was 14th in 18.58 and Ivan Newton, 32nd in 19.58.

I am hoping to do the Wallington 10K during the week as I enter the second third of the 65forizzi challenge. With luck and a bit of common sense on my part I hope to get back into some sort of form over the next couple of months, then the target will be a sub 22 minute 5k, sub 45 minute 10K and who knows a 75 minute 10 miler?

No comments:

Post a Comment