Monday 23 May 2016

Race No. 64 - ONLY ONE RACE TO GO!

Parkrun Newcastle Town Moor

Chris looks more comfortable than me.

Ok, I know I'm gasping, but didn't deserve the Facebook comments.
Well, it is a little after the original planned date of 29 March, but on Wednesday I will complete my 65 race challenge. The finale is to be the George Ogle Memorial Race at Swalwell, but for race no. 64 it was back to the Town Moor for a father and son effort in the Park Run.

I was just back from a holiday in the sunshine of Majorca and whilst I had four runs there, maybe, just maybe, I enjoyed the wonderful food and my favourite Rioja a little too much.

Anyway, having got my excuses in, I cannot blame injury for any dip in form, for a change, I simply felt a little tired as Chris and I set off. At what seemed like a comfortable pace I passed through the first mile in 6.50, with Chris on my tail. He then overtook me, picked up the pace and kept going - oh to be young again!

No, I don't wish for that, I am fit and healthy and whilst I did not enjoy some comments on Facebook, that I was about to take a bite out of the young lady in front of me (in the image above), I am big enough to laugh it off and also to include the offending image.

Chris finished in 21.03 for 68th position, I was 117th in 22.34. Neither of us were near our personal bests, but in a field of 651 the results speak for themselves. In my current 'I don't care' mood I probably shouldn't mention that I was first V65, should I? But I just did.

Today is Monday and in two day's time I will finish this challenge seven weeks after my birthday. This is disappointing, but only a little, for the two injuries suffered during the challenge acually cost me a total absence of some eleven weeks. The achilles injury was so frustrating, whilst the calf problem and its neurogenic cause was wierd, but here I am ready to run my 65th race and then to take up the next challenge.

Roll on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment