Sunday 21 June 2015

Lambton Run 10K

Mr Lyons?




Today, 21 June 2015 , was race number 18 in my challenge, The Lambton 10K Run, organised by Sunderland A.F.C. Foundation of Light, the charitable arm of my footbal team, The Mackems.
Whilst it was my first visit to the Lambton Castle Estate, I have previous for this site. For, (yes, another of my stories!) forty years ago when I was a Building Society Manager, a contact asked me to telephone a client to arrange a mortgage.
" Mr Lyons?" said I.
" No" came the response, " Lambton Lion Park".
Thank you Peter Muirhead, how are you still a good friend after all these years?
Yes, at one time we did have a real life lion park near to Chester Le Street. Today, it has reverted back to being the private estate of the Earl Of Durham who kindly allowed permission for this charitable event.
The course of the race was described as undulating over estate roads in the main. For the major part of the route is was exactly that, undulating. In the last mile, when I was struggling to keep up the fast pace that I had set ,we hit a hill, a big hill, of quite long grass. I was also playing nip and tuck with a couple of runners I recognised from past races, could I get ahead and keep ahead?
Fortunately, in my warm up I had passed the 9K mark and knew that the final kilometre was either level, or slightly downhill. That was all the incentive I needed! Up came the knees, elbows at piston speed and away I went, first passing one rival and then just metres from the line the other.
I finished in 47.31mins, hopefully a time good enough to get amongst the prizes, for the prizes from this event will be awarded at the Stadium of Light! I await the release of the results with more than a little interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment