Thursday 4 February 2016

Race no. 46 Monthly Mile South Shields

....And, Don't Sprint!

I am not sprinting!                       
I know, I should not be running short races and yet here I was back in South Shields for the Monthly Mile.

It is sprinting that has cost me four months out from my 12 months racing challenge through injury. Yes, maybe my pace judgement was a little ambitious at the start of the Wallington 10K back in July. Having recorded a 4.30 minute pace ( admittedly downhill), to increase it to 4.22 was a bit over the top and my achilles tendon suffered for it. In a similar vein, why did I think that I had to win this race in December 2015? Yes, my sprinting days are over.

So, here I was a little older and hopefully wiser on Tuesday night as we lined up to face a full head on gale on South Shields beach front. Moving behind anyone who looked lean and fit, I set off down the field and stayed there for the first half of the race. Ok, I did pass a couple of people whilst keeping my pace down. I even ignored my usual competitive instincts to let a couple of runners pass me. Then and only then, with a hundred metres to finish did I let my pace increase.

At the line it was a 7.02 for the mile, that's ok, as I must forget finishing times and SPRINTING until fully recovered.

Statistics

Time 7.02
13th position
47 ran.

No comments:

Post a Comment