Sunday 21 February 2016

Race No. 49 That's What Friends Are For

Newcastle Park Run 20 February 2016
Hat and jacket on at the end I can enjoy watching others running.

'That's what friends are for' -  to get you round when you are struggling for pace and form. 
I don't think that sheltering  behind them from an awful headwind in a 5K Park Run is what Ross, Joey, Rachel etc. had in mind in 'Friends' but that is what I did in yesterday's Newcastle Park Run, sheltering behind my running partner of over 20 years Brian Stonehouse.

I am struggling for pace and form in my return from the latest injury and was really suffering on Newcastle's Town Moor as Brian and I set off towards the front of the field of 490 runners. Running together we were averaging just over seven minute mile pace for the first mile, slipping to seven thirty pace as the race went on. I was really suffering as we turned, yet again, into a headwind. Easing off, I let Brian pass me, meaning to take advantage of his slipstream. As I did so, I caught his heel, causing him to stumble.

"Sorry, Brian", I said as he recovered, "You will murder me on the next bit"

That is just what he did opening a gap as we headed for the 5K marker. "Oh, this awful" I thought as I had to dig deep to keep in touch with him. Then a couple of runners caught me and I was able to hang on to them and shelter, again, from the wind. With this help I was able to close the gap on Brian and as we approached the final turn to the line, pass him ( see second image above).

At the line I finished in 23.25 for 115th place, Brian 117th in 23.29. I know it was awful to pass Brian as he had pulled me through the race, but 'That's what friends are for'



No comments:

Post a Comment