Sunday 27 March 2016

Race No. 53 Town Moor Parkrun

Both feet off the ground, but it hurts!

Is Brian Stonehouse making it look easy?                                                        
It was back to Newcastle Town Moor and the Parkrun for number 53 in this challenge with my pal, Brian Stonehouse, for company and support.

As is often the case, let's get any excuses in before we set off. Well, it was windy and that's probably it. The reality was, that there was quite a breeze in your face for about 3K of the 5K course and I couldn't find anyone to shelter behind.

I had set off not knowing whether I had been successful in finding a place in the North Tyneside 10K due to take place the following day, Easter Sunday, so, as usual I went for it!

Oh, why do I have to be so competitive?

Anyway, apart from the usual niggles which come with age, injury, the tough seven miler I had done two days before, etc; etc: I was up for a decent run and time. In the event, I found it tough just to keep my pace between 7 .00 and  7.30 minute miling, but pushed on, aware that Brian was just behind me. As you can see from the image above , I knew that only a sprint finish would get me below a 23 minute finish and that is what I did, but should racing be so hard?

At the end I finished in 22.47 for 93rd place. Brian was just behind in 23.30 for 119th. I think the moral victory was his, for he looks a lot more comfortable with the pace than me.

Now, did I get that entry into tomorrow's North Tyneside 10K? Look out for the next installment, due soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment