Wednesday 2 March 2016

A Milestone Race Number 50 - Monthly Mile South Shields

Going for it at the finish.

My Best View - At The Start With Louise Griffin


I had hoped to make Race no. 50 a milestone  race in my challenge, something long, maybe a 10 miler, or perhaps a tough Fell Race, but in the event I simply needed to get another race done and so it was a return to South Shields for the March Monthly Mile.

It was yet another cold and windy night on the coast as we assembled at the start. I was still struggling for pace and form after injury, but hoping to at least get under the seven minute barrier which i had hit in the last two outings. It seems strange to say, but I am hoping that by the time I get to my sixty sixth birthday ( coming soon), that I will be improving on my times. Yes, I am ever the optimist - watch this space!

In the event, it was hard work to get into a decent pace and I really had work at the end to finish in a reasonable time. Yet, looking at my Garmin Express record of the run maybe, just maybe I set off too quickly ( the low background rumble you can hear is the laughter of my pals who know that this is how I have ran for the last thirty years!). Yes, I set off at 4.37 pace, increasing to 4.28 , that is minutes per mile. Unsurprisingly I also recorded 7.30 pace as I struggled, before getting back under 6 minute pace by the end.  My average pace was actually 6.42 as I finished in seventh place for 6 minutes 45 seconds.

Fellow Tynedale Harrier and Marathon Runner, Louise Griffin was just behind in 7.22 for 14th position from a field of 46.

Now for something longer for race no. 51.

No comments:

Post a Comment