Sunday 13 September 2015

Another Comeback Attempt 5 September 2015

Gloucester Park Run
Helford Passage, Cornwall

Morgan Donelly at the start

...and winning

St Mawes, Cornwall         
After five weeks of treatment on my injured achilles it was time to try it out again, this time enroute to a holiday in Cornwall.

The Gloucester Park Run seemed like a convenient location on the long journey to Cornwall as we were booked into the Holiday Inn Express, Gloucester. In the event the venue was two minutes away from the hotel, ideal!

A warm up revealed no problem with the achilles, so I lined up about a third of the way down the field of approx 200 runners and off we went.

Damn, as soon as I put the slightest pressure on the injury it hurt! A glance at the watch showed a 7 minute pace, ease up. 7.30 , then 8 minute pace and just a nagging pain. two miles down and another silver fox caught me up.

" What age group?" said I.
" I am 59" He replied.
" I'll jog round with you" said I.
I chatted to him as we jogged along.
" You're not even panting" He reproached me.
What could I say without causing offence, as I was just jogging?
" Well," I replied " I will not be sprinting to the line"

We crossed the line in 23.50 and I limped away from the finish to enjoy a second breakfast at the hotel - don't tell anyone.

A lovely week in the sunshine at St Mawes was thoroughly enjoyable, but I had to accept that my chance of running the World Masters Mountain Running Championships at Betws y Coed had gone.

As we were booked into accomodation in Betws y Coed and were due to meet up there with my nephew Adrian Leonard, Gail his wife and their family, at least we could still enjoy the visit. In fact it was a smashing day, watching former Tynedale Harrier, Morgan Donelly, win his race, followed by a good performance from a large group of current Tynedale Harriers, both lads and ladies. Best of all was seeing my grand nephews, Ewan and Harrison and lovely little Evie. These three were bundles of energy, Ewan at six is already training as a triathlete, yes, really. Watch out for these names in the future.

For me it's back to the drawing board  ( or the physio's couch), watch this space.
Three Welsh athletes of the future

No comments:

Post a Comment