Saturday 19 September 2015

The Challenge Continues - Hopefully

Newcastle Park Run 19 Sept. 2015
Neil Cassidy at the World Masters, North Wales

St Mawes, Cornwall             
Well, I am running again, or at least trying to get back into running and my 65 race challenge.

Two weeks ago I took time out from the long, long journey to a holiday in Cornwall to run in the Gloucester Park Run. That was probably a mistake, or maybe I was just trying to run too fast (?) too soon. Today I was determined not to make the same mistake and started the Town Moor race well down the field and at a slower pace. Did the strategy work? I hope so, at least I am not limping as I was at Gloucester.

What was very apparent, was that I am not as fit as I was before this achilles injury. Yes, I was trying to keep the pace down, but as my confidence in my recovery increased and I picked up the pace late in the run, I was having to work.

If and it is a big if, I am recovering from this achilles tendon strain, then I really should have done some exercise during the seven week recovery process. Instead, I ate and drank the same amount and would describe myself today as cuddly.

Getting back to the run, I finished in 218th place from a field of 540 in a new PW ( Personal Worst) of 25.07. Infact I was so far down the field that I didn't even see fellow Tynedale Harriers:
Martin Bluck  35th in 19.29
Gary Fenwick 64th in 21.03
Kim Bluck 140th in 23.00
Elena Bluck 177th in 24.08
Bryn Mordey 198th in 24.37.
Well done to them all particularly the Bluck family for showing what all families should do early on a Saturday morning, yes, RUN!

For me its lots, lots more Eccentric Heel Drops, 2 x 15 straight leg,  2x 15 bent leg, three times a day and with a modicum of luck I will be lining up at Prudhoe next Sunday for Race no. 26, The Prudhoe Miners' Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment