Monday 9 November 2015

Race no. 37 Heaton Harriers Memorial 10K

Back to the Town Moor
Fully clothed for a wet Saturday on the Moor


A winning ticket - well , a third place anyway
At least its not raining
 It was back to Newcastle's Town Moor yesterday for the Heaton Harrier's Memorial 10K and another chance for father and son, Chris,  to race together.

Whilst it was windy, at least it had stopped raining and conditions weren't as awful as they were yesterday when I did the 5K Park Run here. Unfortunately, maybe running yesterday was not such a good idea for not only was I off the pace, but my damn achilles was sore!

Yes, within the first mile Chris was lost to sight as he pushed on to record a good time in his own club's event. I was also passed by Peter Atkinson, North Shields Poly, but there was to be no repeat of the Derwentwater 10 mile, as this time I had to let him go.

Why was it that I found gaps in the field every time I was exposed to the head on wind? There is nothing like hiding behind a big lad when you run into a strong breeze, but it didn't happen  and I was fully exposed. At least I was ahead of yesterday's pace, averaging 7.30 minute miling compared to just under 8 mins. , but I was having to work and also trying to ignore a painful achilles.

Isn't technology improving all the time? Just as they used to do in Russia ( in Cold War days) , I saw a queue at the finish and joined it, was it for a goody bag, t - shirt, drink, or Russian bread? No, it was an instant print out of your performance, wow! This showed that I had finished in 46.54 for 302nd position (549 ran), and was 3rd V65 male.

Chris had continued his improving form to finish 140th in 41.32 and Peter Atkinson was 251st in 45.18. Well done both of you.

Well, that was race no. 37 completed, only 28 to do by 29 March 2016. I would have liked to do the Brampton to Carlisle next weekend, but my achilles is just not up to that challenge, instead I face a race against time to be able to run at all, here's hoping!

Thanks to Laura for turning out to support Chris and I , also for the photos , above.

No comments:

Post a Comment