Wednesday 2 December 2015

Race No. 40 And The End of Me As A Sprinter

Monthly Mile South Shields

 It was back to South Shields for race no. 40, the December Monthly Mile.

This was a filler as I was away at the weekend and couldn't get a longer race onto the schedule. More's the pity as I have come a cropper, again, with injury.

My intention for this evening race seemed reasonable, to win it! Well, at least to win the 'slow' event, rather than the 'faster' in which I would normally run.

I should have known it wasn't to be my night when I turned up to find everyone in Santa costume, everyone that is but me (and one or two others). Having hidden at the back for the  group photo -thats me at the back towards the left - I had a good warm up to be ready for a fast off. Then away I went, at speed. I soon left the youngsters behind and was clear of the field when I realised that I had pulled my calf. Yes, I should have stopped, but pushed on, albeit at a slower pace. Heading for the line two youngsters passed me, dropping me to third place, so I was now injured for nothing, damn!

Limping away from the finish my only thought was, could I recover from this latest injury for Sunday and the Hexhamshire Hobble? Today, the calf is still sore, but here's hoping.

Statistics
Finished 3rd in 'slow' event in 6.44.
12th fastest overall from 90 runners.



Spot the one not in costume - me!

No comments:

Post a Comment