Sunday 17 April 2016

Auto Pilot on the Town Moor

Race No. 57 Park Run Town Moor

Both feet off the ground, again.

John Josephs still going well.
I just could not decide where to run this weekend for race no. 57.

In my schedule I had made the mistake of leaving it to the last moment to decide which of two 10 K races, in The Lakes , to do and ended up doing neither. Even worse, having left it to the last moment to make the short journey into Newcastle, I simply went into autopilot mood and forgot to take my Parkrun barcode. As a result, this was another race which only features in my records, but I am sure that you will take my word for it - and the images above.

Yes, I was certainly on autopilot as I set off at a very steady pace, cruising through the first mile in 7.20. In the second mile I finally decided to make a bit of an effort and picked the pace up to record 7.07. The third mile on the moor is the tough one, slightly uphill and always, it seems, into the wind. 7.34 pace took me to the finishing straight and 6.17 pace through the line to record 22.47 for the 5K course.

Looking at my schedule, I notice that this was exactly the same time as my previous run, one in which I really pushed myself. There is a lesson to be learned here, start steady and then if you want a good time, pick it up all the way to the end.

This race was memorable to me, not for what I achieved, but for whom I came across, on the Moor, from the very beginning of my running career, Howard Gold and John Josephs. Both these gentlemen became regular, friendly faces in my early road races almost thirty years ago and both are still running in their seventies. Not only running regularly, but at a good level of ability.

Howard Gold was still putting in 21 minute finishes in the last few years, whilst John finished yesterday in 26.09 (265th position).

Thirty years ago all three of us would finish a 10K race in around forty minutes. I say around forty minutes, but I just could not get it under that barrier. The solution was to join a harrier club and within 12 months of joining Tynedale Harriers I was down to 37.30. Through competitive training I was then able to stay under the 40 minute barrier for the next 10 plus years, oh, happy days.

A final word on yesterday's Parkrun and what probably persuaded me to support the event. You should have heard about those beep, beep, councillors at Stoke Gifford who have decided to charge Park Runners for wear to their beep, footpaths. Please sign the petition against this stupid ruling. Yes, I know that I treat these 5K runs as a race, but the vast majority of the 515 runners yesterday and several million(?) others around the country actually turn out to give themselves a healthier lifestyle. They should be applauded for doing so, not discouraged. In addition the events are organised by volunteers - no expenses etc for these good people please note you ........... councillors!

Please check out the petition:

change.org/p/stoke-gifford-parish-council-keep-little-stoke-parkrun-in-little-stoke-park

Statistics
Race No. 57
135 th position in 22.47
515 ran

No comments:

Post a Comment