Wednesday 27 April 2016

OVER THE MOON AT RAF SPADEADAM !

Race No. 60 RAF Spadeadam Reivers 10K

Blue Streak Rocket

Third Male

The Race Marshals

The Race Route

3rd Place Medal and Tee Shirt!
Did you pick up the hint in my last blog about 'Countdown' and 'Blast off''for my next race at Spadeadam?

If not, I can now tell you that I was referring to the  UK's ' Blue Streak' Intermediate Range Ballistic Project which took place in the late 1950's at RAF Spadeadam on the Northumberland/ Cumberland border.

Yes, this was strictly 'top secret' at the time and for many years after, but Spadeadam was to have been the launch site for our ballistic missiles - yes, really. Infact, years after the project was abandoned it was revealed that missile silos were actually under construction. The first firing of  'Blue Streak' took place in 1959, but within two years it was all over. 

The booster stage of the rocket is pictured above, but please note I did not take this image as photography was forbidden, I downloaded it from the internet. I mention this because the rocket is the first thing that Brian Stonehouse and I saw as we entered the RAF base, yesterday.

Thank gooodness the weather on top of the Pennines when we arrived, was not as bad as the forecasted snow and gale force winds. Yes, it was cold, very cold and the wind was bitter. Thermal vest and gloves was the order of the day as we set off at the combined start of the 10K and 10 mile races.

Passing 'Blue Streak' we turned onto a forest road which climbed and continued to climb for the first three miles. If that sounds tough, it was nothing compared to the strong wind blowing right into your face. Not having done this race before, I did wonder if we were to face even worse conditions as the race went on, for I was well placed towards the front of the field. On the first part of the climb I hid behind a big lad to shelter from the wind, overtaking him as we turned onto the forest track. Then I repeated the trick to pass another runner and suddenly I was clear of the field with only the front runners in view.

Then the sun came out and I could enjoy the lovely surroundings as I huffed and puffed my way to the top of the climb. This is my element, for whilst I may have lost some speed as I have aged, I can still enjoy off road climbing. It reminded me of my early fell races going back some 25 years. What I found was that if a hill was runnable, then your road running speed would put you towards the front of the field. The problem was, to stay there!

Yesterday I climbed the first three miles and 456 feet in 8.19, 8.32 and 8.15. Having done the climbing, what could I achieve on the down hill section? 7.22, 7.08 and 6.42 was the answer and  I rocketed (!) past 'Blue Streak' to the line in 46.52 to finish in 4th position.

Looking back the way I had come, I was pleased to see Brian leading the rest of the field for fifth place (48.14). That's good packing for Tynedale Harriers!

It may be that a mid week, day time race race is not convenient for many runners. Also, the  weather may have caused some 'no shows', but if anyone can get to Spadeadam for this event next year I would advise them to do so. For the £12.50 entry fee we received a tee shirt, water , a banana and this was amazing, a cooked pasta lunch! My third place male medal was simply an excellent bonus to finish a pretty good day out.

On Sunday I am competing in the Sunderland 10K, so it's back to the roads and a big field to compete against. Bring it on!














No comments:

Post a Comment