Saturday 23 April 2016

Just a Second!

Race No. 59 Parkrun Town Moor
Brian Stonehouse

Lynne Marr

Adndy Green

The Old Fellah

Chris Graham failing to catch a youngster in 20.20! That lad must be good!
Joseph Green

Louise Griffin following up the Manchester Marathon
How long is a second? Is it a blink in time, or something much longer?

I was always told that it is the time it takes to say 'one Mississippi'. I ask the question because at the finishing line on the Town Moor Parkrun today, I glanced at my watch and it said 22.00. I would have been so much happier if it had said 21.59. Actually, I would have been over the moon if it had said 21.44, which is my Parkrun pb since I started this challenge.

I will not complain however, for I was not going for a personal best (pb) today, simply getting in another race between last Wednesday's Keswick 10K and next Tuesday's Spadeadam 10K.

Thinking about the difference a second in time can make brings back  a real bummer, for a single second in my finishing time at the last ever Wylam Fun Run, held several years ago, means that I failed in my last and final attempt to win the trophy for the fastest local runner. Over the years there was always some local whippet, normally a teenager, who would snatch the trophy away from me. In that final event I ran really well in the senior men's race. At the end the timekeeper said " you are the fastest local, Peter". " Yes, finally!" I thought. " Just a minute, oh", he continued, " Steph Scott ( a fellow Tynedale runner) was one second faster in the Ladie's race". Well done Steph, but that hurt!

Back to today and Tynedale Harriers were well represented on the Moor. In a big, big field of 684 we turned out six runners who finished in the following times and positions:

18th    Andy Green         18.41
(61     Chris Graham       20.20 ) actually representing Heaton Harriers, but he was a Tynedale Junior 
131    Me                         22.03 (official time)
187    Brian Stonehouse  23.13
241    Louise Griffin        24.28
278    Joseph Green         25.09 (Andys son) in the 11-14 age category
299    Lynne Marr           25.40

Counting down to a real blast off at Spadeadam on Tuesday, all will be revealed in my next blog


   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment