Tuesday 5 April 2016

Race 55 The Blyth Valley 10K

Just Off The Pace
Fellow Tynedale Harrier,John Davison, finishing at Blyth

Blyth  startline before the race
 When will springtime start, I wondered as I warmed up for the  start of the Blyth Valley 10K on Sunday?

The previous Sunday, just down the coast from Blyth, at North Shields, I had asked myself the same question before  deciding to run in a thermal top. At Blyth, I decided that spring had still not sprung as far as the temperatures were concerned and wore a tee shirt. I know it probably makes me sound a softy, but I do not like the cold.

Within the first mile in both races I decided that the decision was wrong as I was overheating and my next race will definitely be vest only ( well maybe plus shorts, etc.).

Back to the race and running pal, Brian Stonehouse and I set off at a reasonable pace, before being passed by another Tynedale Harrier, Ian Brown. As usual, I was probably pushing it a bit as the first mile marker appeared in well under seven minutes. I lost touch with Brian, but knew he was fairly close behind as the halfway point at Seaton Sluice approached. Now averaging 7.30 minute pace, I was just about hanging on to my position but not enjoying it, as it felt like hard work.

At five miles, Brian passed me and boy was it tough to keep in touch. Then the bystanders started calling out encouragement for 'John' as a runner in the colours of local club,Blyth,  caught me. Running shoulder to shoulder we passed the six mile marker and as the finish approached we were getting closer and closer to Brian.

At the line the Blyth runner went through in 45.49 for 218 position, Brian was 220th in 45.53 and I was 221st a second later. The Blyth runner then turned to me and said " we havn't done that for a while , Peter" then I finally recognised John Mallon as a blast from the past, when we were members of the Northern Rock Running Club. That's going back a few years.

But some things don't change. Looking at the results, Elswick's Harry Matthews was as usual ahead of me, in first place V65. My being slightly off the pace meant that another two 65 year olds were ahead of me in 45.29 and 45.36 respectively. That means I have officially failed to record a top three finish in my last two races, oh the shame. Not really, but have I mentioned that I am competitive?

Today, Tuesday, I am still a little out of sorts and doubtful for the April Monthly Mile tonight, but let's see how I feel in a couple of hours.

The first image above? That is John Davison, Tynedale Harriers, John deserves the feature, I have known him for years, he is a smashing lad  and loves his running, regularly racing with another star, Eileen Armstrong, who I hope will forgive me for mentioning that she is well into her seventies and still running well. Keep it going you two.



No comments:

Post a Comment