Monday 11 April 2016

Sandancer 10K in the sunshine of South Shields

Race no. 56
Finally I can run in just a vest!

South Shields Beach with Tynemouth Priory in the background

Bassets at South Shields
Hurrah, the sun finally shone in 2016.

Yes, it was warm on South Shields beach on Sunday morning and I was able to keep the promise to myself to run in just a vest. Look at that beach car park with a view, above.

For the third Sunday in a row I was on the coast for a 10K, having travelled south over the Tyne to South Shields. This was the first time that I have ran this course which is a multi-terrain event sited at the finish of the Great North Run route. Oh, the joy of running in the sunshine, it almost overcame (excuses alert!) the  niggly tummy and aching knee I have had for a couple of weeks.

Setting off along the beach road from Gypsies Green, the route takes you along a path up onto the Leas. Then after completing a loop of the Leas, back round for a second loop before the final mile down onto the beach. As we headed for what I thought was the finish line, I picked up my pace and sprinted to the Sandancer Pub, only to find that the finish was actually in Gypsie's Green Stadium and I had only reached the starting line, if you know what I mean.

At this point, the people I had just overtaken were able to pass me again and somewhat disheartened, I entered the stadium to find that I still had to complete a lap of the track. Really, I have no excuses for my lack of knowledge of the course, as I used to train at this track every lunch time in a previous life, work wise.

Jogging back to the car, my heart was lifted by the sight of a pack of Basset Hounds coming off the beach after an outing of the Hadrian Basset Society. To most people the Basset Hound may be an unlikely breed to inspire such joy, but after owning three over the last forty years I am a real fan of these lovely dogs. All of my bassets have been able to enjoy, I hope, their full day's out on the Lakeland Fells over the years.

The results of the race? Nearly forgot about that, didn't I?  I see that I finished in 46.33 for 130th place out of 400. There was no V65 category, but I was 6th V60.

That was race no. 56. For race no. 57, I am looking at one of three possible races in the Lakes - Grisedale Grind in mid week, Langdale 10K, next Saturday, or Cockermouth Brigham 10K, Sunday, watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment