Thursday 14 May 2015

Latrigg Fell Race - A Tough Climb


 That climb was brutal!


 Maisie relaxes at our tent at Setmabanning Farm, Threlkeld,
 .... meets the farm dog.

 is faced down by the tough Lakeland sheep

and retreats.

Latrigg Fell Race 13 May 2015

For Race No. 11 in my challenge it was back to Keswick for my first fell race. This was a short race, only three miles, but with 951 feet of climb in the first mile.
I had thought that I was a decent fell runner, but the climb out of Keswick and straight up Latrigg was a killer. I had started off well down the field and stayed there until the summit. Then it was a mad dash down a ridiculous decline, during which I picked up a few places. But boy, have I suffered today for that mad descent my thighs are sooooo painful.
After the race, Basset Hound Maisie and I returned to Setmabanning Farm where I had pitched my hiking tent. There was a forecast of  overnight temperatures down to freezing, so it was two sleeping bags for me, plus a cannine hot water bottle. In the event we were cosy and I didn't have to resort to cuddling into Maisie for warmth.
This morning we had a walk around the farm encountering a host of farm life, some being pictured above.


No comments:

Post a Comment