Wednesday 6 May 2015

Les Alcorn 10K, Hulne Park, Alnwick

                                 Ninth Race in the challenge and some personal memories

                                       HULNE PARK, ALNWICK, NORTHUMBERLAND

On Bank Holiday Monday I did the eighth race of my challenge, the ASHINGTON TRIATHLON, quite a challenge as it was my first ever tri. As if that effort was not enough, the very next day, Tuesday 5 May 2015, I entered the LES ALLCORN 10K, a race which takes place at Hulne Park, Alnwick, part of the Alnwick Castle Estate.
First a little history, ancient and modern , including my own family visit to the abbey, then a little on Les Allcorn.
Hulne Abbey was founded in 1240 by William de Vesci, following his return from the Crusades. William was of the Carmelite Order and thought that this hill resembled Mount Carmel.
In more recent times the abbey was one of the settings for the Kevin Costenor film , Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Shortly after the release of the film a friend of mine, whose mother actually lived in the abbey, invited me to visit. This was particularly exciting for Chris and Sophie who immediately recognised the door (shown above) as being part of the film. Things got even more exciting when they were shown a wooden barrel which had been left behnd after the filming. Part of the race passes below the abbey and I was able to glance up as I headed towards the finish.
I also have a memory of Les Allcorn, not that I knew him personally, but twenty years ago, in 1995, I had just completed the Coastal Run when I learned that a local runner, Les Allcorn of Alnwick Harriers, had collapsed near the finish of that race. Sadly, Les a keen runner in his fifties, died and it is in his memory that todays race takes place. I dedicate this the ninth race of my 65 challenge to his memory.

The Race
It was a lovely, sunny evening when I arrived in beautiful Alnwick for this 10K run on the estate roads among wonderful scenery plus some hills. I had run this race twice in the last five years, winning the V60 category on both occasions. Having missed the race last year I did not know that the course had changed and I was in for a surprise. Previously the race had started some way into the park, followed an uphill course for two miles, then plunged downhill for a further two, before following the River Aln back to the finish on a nice level path.
This year it started at the Park gates before heading uphill for about a mile. My legs were feeling a little sore from the previous days efforts in the Triathlon, but I was able to keep up a decent pace, passing the mile mark in 7 mins. 22. The second mile which must have been mainly downill was 6.54, third 7.07, fourth 7.25, fifth 7.34 - can you see where this is going? Then I hit the (unexpected) hill! Oh, it hurt! Head down, arms pumping I worked my way up that b. hill until the top was in sight. Round a bend and up it went again! This was suddenly no fun and did I feel sorry for myself as my average pace gained two minutes a mile. Then it was perhaps half a mile to the finish and I dug deep to get the pace up again. The watch showed the pace was back under seven minute pace as I crossed the line in 45.53.
At the finish I asked when the results would be finalised and if there was a need to stay for the prize giving. Yes, stay,  I was told, for there were no oldies in front of me. Then someone mentioned Richard Sill of Morpeth Harriers, was he 60? Richard was pointed out to me. " Richard " Said I,  "What was your time?" "45.04" He replied.
Richard was such a nice guy I could only say "Well Done" He further endeared himself to me when he said that I should consider duathlons as that would get me allow me to escape the nemesis I had encountered in the swim in yesterday's tri.
Further consolation for the result was that I was second V60. Now all I need is to find a race which has a V65 prize.
A final word on the night in Alnwick is to record meeting up with two old pals from Tynedale Harriers who also ran. Eileen Armstrong is a tremendous runner. At 76 years young ( sorry Eileen I got your age from the results) she is regularly competing, along with John Davison. I have ran with these keen athletes for over twenty years. One memory I have of Eileen is watching a video  (youngsters may have to ask their parents what one of those is) of her competing against the world in a Masters (?) 10K on the track at Jarrow. Eileen led the field for a number of laps, before finishing, I can't remember where, but it doesn't matter anyway, she did it!
  




No comments:

Post a Comment