Saturday 10 October 2015

Cross Country For Race No. 30

North East Harrier League Sherman Cup, South Shields
A Family affair as Chris and I race at Temple Park, South Shields                              
Am I shrinking in height? I thought that Chris was only about 1" taller than me, but in this photo, taken today, he looks about 3" taller! Compare our eye line and it must be that 2" quiff, Chris's that is not mine!

Anyway, on with the running bit and more progress in my 65 race challenge. After two months out with that b...... achilles injury I have managed four races since last Saturday and today it was a proper cross country at Temple Park, South Shields. The course was fairly dry, unlike some previous years when there was very sticky, deep mud to drain strength in the legs. On a sunny afternoon Chris and I set off together at what seemed like a steady pace, recording just on 7 minutes for the first mile. Suddenly, I lost sight of him and wondered if he was ahead or behind. A glance at my pace told me I was down to 7.30 pace (or is that up to?), and realised that he had dropped me.

Towards the end of the first of three laps I could see him ahead of me by about thirty places, but that was the nearest I came to him. The second lap was a steady plod, interchanging places with people about my own pace. I thought that I was picking up the pace for the third lap, but statistics did not confirm this. Obviously,  I am not very fit after my eight week layoff and basically I am slowing as a race progresses. I cannot decide if this is depressing, or should I be grateful that I am at least running again - I will settle for the latter.

At the finish I had recorded 45.31 for the 9.1K course in 391st (ouch!) position out of 464 runners. There were lots of V60 runners ahead of me, but I was (I think) 1st V65, there were seven others before you think otherwise. Chris recorded 42.31 for 320th place, well done Chris.

Looking at statistics, Tynedale were third team in the Davison Shield Competition and 10th in the Sherman Cup, so all in all a good day for Tynedale runners of all ages - the categories start at Under 13 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment