Saturday 24 October 2015

Half Way Point - Almost

Race No. 32 Newcaste Park Run
The Grahams

Newcastle Park Run
Well, completing race no. 32 means that I am almost half way through my 32 race challenge to honour the memory of my late Tynedale Harrier pal, Islam Ali (Izzi), who died at a tragically young age in June 2003. Just writing this makes me emotional and I am rather emotional right now, having come through a bit of a traumatic week.

I was only able to run this morning because my daughter, Sophie, has dashed home from  London to be near to mum, Muriel, after she suffered a terrible injury in our own kitchen.

It sounds so silly to say that Muriel fell after standing on the dog's bone, but the result was horrific. Hearing her screams I rushed in from the garden to find her drifting in and out of consciousness. A single glance at her wrist told me how serious the injury was and I had to get her to casualty.

I am fairly good in an emergency, but crack up afterwards and this was the case here. Having driven at a ridiculous speed to the Newcastle RVI, I was able to get her into the hands of their emergency team without any delay. The relief of seeing them administer morphine to try and aleviate the pain reduced me to tears.

Three days after the accident and two days after an operation to pin and put a plate in her wrist Muriel is home and enjoying the comfort of the support of Sophie, Chris and Laura. She is still in pain but at least can start the recovery process.

My heart felt thanks goes to all the staff at Newcastle RVI for their professional care. To Chris for jumping ship at Shoreham ( he was training an officer in Fishery Protection when he heard about Mum), to Laura for her support and to Sophie for being there.

As to race no. 32, I finished the 5K in a reasonable time, 22.57, other details just don't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment