Wednesday 25 March 2015

Last Run on Madeira - Injury Prone or Injury Phobia?




For my last run on Madeira it was, again, straight up to the highest point above the Lido at Santo Antonio. This is a climb of over 1,000 feet in just over a mile, good training thought I and looking at my Garmin Forerunner 18 minutes wasn't a bad time. To vary the route back to sea level I looked for tracks taking me away from built up areas and plunged down an interesting looking one. Minutes later I was hundreds of feet down amongst the Madeiran examples of our allotments. Instead of our potatoes and cabbages they seemed to grow only bananas, but maybe I wasn't looking closely. Suddenly the path ended and I had that awful realisation, it was time to retrace my steps back up that b...... hill!
Anyway, on the way back up the hill I spotted a side turning and was able to get back onto tarmac. Away I went, ever downhill, pounding on a concrete surface. Oh, thought I, is the usual sciatic pain in my lower leg moving? It was now in the muscle at the front of my calf. Two miles later back at the hotel, it was no better. Well I thought, at least it's a different pain, shin splints? Subsequent 'googling' revealed it was not shin splints, that injury affects the inside of the leg, mine was in the muscle on the outside - Compartment Syndrome? I hope not, but here I am sitting at home, in front of the computer, with little change in whatever the condition is. I can only rest and pray that it is not C. S.  Walking Maisie yesterday I had a little jog and it didn't feel too bad. I may try a slow jog on soft ground tomorrow.
In any event I am entered for the HARTLEPOOL MARINA 5 MILE on my 65th birthday, Sunday 29 March 2015 and I will be there!


                            
 That's Maisie.



No comments:

Post a Comment