Tuesday 24 March 2015

LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE


Tuesday 17 March 2015


All the way to the top of PICO DA CRUZ , 261 metres above my hotel in Funchal, Madeira, the dogs in the roadside properties were launching themselves against their respective fences threatening to tear me limb from limb if only they could. Then on the cork screw approach to the summit the properties ended and there was only scrub at the sides of the road. With the barbed wire fence of the army base which topped this peak approaching I spotted two large, very large, stray dogs lying asleep in the sun; a quick about turn and I was on my way down that hill. As I ran, gun fire from within the base started. A lucky escape? Perhaps the dogs were friendly? But, does anyone know a dog that is friendly to a runner?


 Having been frustrated in my first attempt at reaching the peak that I could see from Funchal's Lido, I looked inland and uphill to the next climb, PICO dos BARCELOS (355M). This was out of sight from the sea, but having dropped down a couple of hundred feet I followed the very steep tarmac up to the white church of Santo Antonio. I may be getting older and maybe a little slower but climbing is no problem. The problem was the ridiculous steepness of the descent from the church on unforgiving concrete. I was aware of the heavy steps I was slapping down on the concrete road, but couldn't find a way to lessen the impact - more on the consequences of this punishment later. For now I could only enjoy the sensation that maybe, just maybe I was putting my injuries behind me and getting into form for my 12 month challenge which was to start on the 29th. My short holiday in Madeira was giving me the opportunity of some warm weather training.





No comments:

Post a Comment