Tuesday 24 March 2015

Running Levadas Priornais, Funchal, Madeira

Third day of my break on Madeira and looking good. I set off from the hotel ( Eden Mar), turned right and up the hill I went. Past the various hotels, up and up that hill I ran. A break in the wall, a few steps up and there was a water channel lined with concrete and a brisk stream of pure water coming off the mountain to irrigate Madeira's banana plantations.
I had heard that these levadas were a magical part of Madeira, offering the chance to get out into the countryside as they had footpaths alongside them. Well, up country in the mountains, that might well be the case, but in a built up area what you got was a water channel, perhaps two feet wide and a concrete strip alongside of no more than 18 inches. Yes, still a pleasant place to run, but you could not really take your eye from the ground to look down at the sea, for with my luck I would fall and break an ankle.
Anyway, a pleasant run in the spring sunshine then back to the hotel to see if I could improve my swimming for my first ever Triathlon ( Ashington Tri, 4 May 2015).

No comments:

Post a Comment